This is a very nice one week tour. You have a couple of options: you can do the
full circle around the lake or do half a circle then take the ferry between
- Very nice state park campground, on lake
Hog Island Point (pg 105)
looking small campground, on a point into
- Web site for Hog Island
Lake Michigan Beach (pg 94)
- Nice, huge swimming beach
Mackinaw Island (pg 94)
- Must see! Sight seeing. Fudge!
- Biking, around island, 8 miles, about 45 minutes
- Horses. Ride or buggy. Jake’s Livery Stable for self driven horse buggy
- No cars allowed. Only bikes and horses. Take Ferry to island (doesn’t matter which ferry, same price, both good)
- Grand Hotel – must see!
o Guiness book of records – longest porch in the world.
o Movie “Somewhere in Time” filmed there.
Mackinaw city (pg 94)
Harbor Springs (pg 82)
- Cool little resort town – Detroit/Chicago summer homes (i.e. Ford).
- Beach Drive road is similar to
Petosky (pg 82)
- Very cool town. Make sure you drive around Bay View.
- Petosky KOA – very nice, pricey
- Petosky State Park for camping. Didn’t stay there (tried but they were booked) but looked very nice.
- Great biking. Trail to Charlevoux & Harbour Springs – level trails, cool breezes off lake.
Charlevoux (pg 81)
- Very cool town
Traverse City (pg 74)
- Very nice town
Leeland (pg 80)
- Very nice little
Sleeping Bears Dunes (pg 73)
- Must see
- Make sure you send the kids down the 45 degree, 500’ high slope at the end of Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive just north of the city of Empire.
- Dune Climb. Easy than the Pierce Stocking one.
Ludington (pg 54)
- Nice little town. Nice beach and swimming. Ferry dock.
- Must see and must rent a dune buggy.
- One of the few places the public can take vehicles on the sand dunes
- Rent a dune buggy – a gas! Note: bring eye goggles and ear plugs to keep the sand out – you will need it! Reserve ahead of time.
- Silver Creek Campground – nice but pricy.
Warren Dunes State Park (pg 18)
- Close to
- Huge beach and parking lot. Nice facilities.
- Close to Notre Dame - worth a day trip